Los Gigantes is one of the wonders of Tenerife. A unique natural place in the world where cetaceans live in their natural habitat (and we want to keep it that way for many years to come).
Do you want to go on a whale watching excursion in Los Gigantes? Bet on a 100% legal company to maintain the habitat of dolphins and whales:
Real prices, without commissions of intermediaries.
Dolphin and whale watching excursions in Los Gigantes
It offers four whale watching excursions in Los Gigantes:
- 3-hour shared tour
- 4 hours shared tour
- 4-hour private excursion
It offers three whale watching excursions in Los Gigantes:
- Embrace Nature
- Be Whale Wise
- Wildlife Peek
100% legal companies with all necessary permits
Recommendations for a perfect cetacean excursion
Before your whale watching excursion in Los Gigantes, keep these tips in mind:
What do I need to bring?
- It is advisable to bring sun cream to protect you from the sun. Sunglasses are another good idea.
- Binoculars are a good ally for better whale watching.
- Do you get seasick easily? You can buy anti-seasickness products at the pharmacy.
- It is a good idea to take some warm clothing with you, as the wind chill decreases during the excursion at sea.
Do I choose a specific date?
- Excursions to see cetaceans have a sighting rate of close to 100%, as there are resident species in Tenerife all year round, such as the short-finned pilot whale and the bottlenose dolphin.
- Other cetacean species are more abundant in May and June.
What if I carry a camera?
- The snapshots are often blurred by the movement of the boat and the cetaceans.
- Please take into account the small delay between the shutter release and the taking of the picture.
- It is recommended to avoid over-zooming.
Do I need permits?
- This whale watching company in Los Gigantes has been awarded the “Barco Azul” flag, a mark that certifies its professionalism. Therefore, no permission is required from the client.
Why is Los Gigantes one of the best areas to see cetaceans?
Los Gigantes de Tenerife is one of the best areas to see cetaceans due to several reasons:
- Convergence of currents: In this area, there is a convergence of ocean currents, which creates an ecosystem rich in nutrients. These nutrients attract a wide variety of cetacean species that find here an abundant source of food.
- Ocean depth: Los Gigantes is characterized by a significant depth in its nearshore waters. This allows the presence of cetacean species that prefer deeper waters, such as pilot whales and killer whales.
- Geographic formation: The cliffs of Los Gigantes offer an impressive and unique setting for whale watching. These high rock walls create a protected marine environment and a natural barrier against winds, which contributes to the calm waters and the constant presence of cetaceans in the area.
- Variety of species: In Los Gigantes you can see different species of cetaceans, including dolphins, pilot whales, pilot whales, orcas and sperm whales. This diversity of species makes the whale watching experience even more exciting and enriching.
- Organized whale watching activities: In the Los Gigantes area, there are numerous companies and tour operators that offer whale watching activities. These companies have expert guides and appropriate boats to provide a safe and respectful experience with the animals.
In summary, Los Gigantes de Tenerife stands out as one of the best areas to see cetaceans due to the convergence of currents, the depth of the ocean, the geographical formation, the variety of species and the availability of organized whale watching activities. It is a privileged place to enjoy the majesty and beauty of these magnificent animals in their natural habitat.
What species of cetaceans can be seen in Los Gigantes?
In Los Gigantes you can see two species of cetaceans almost all year round: the bottlenose dolphin and the short-finned pilot whale.
Bottlenose dolphin or Tursiops truncatus
The bottlenose dolphin is a well-known dolphin species widely distributed in oceanic and coastal waters around the world. They are characterized by their robust body and long, distinctive snout. They are sociable and curious animals, with a great capacity for communication and playful behavior. Bottlenose dolphins are known for their acrobatics and leaps out of the water, which makes them a very popular species for whale watching.
Pilot whale or Globicephala Macrorhynchus
The short-finned pilot whale is a medium to large cetacean species found in tropical and temperate waters around the world. It is distinguished by its robust body and prominent rounded head. Pilot whales are known for their social behavior and complex social structure in groups called pods. They are fast and agile swimmers, and can be observed performing fast jumps and movements in the water. These cetaceans feed mainly on fish and squid.
There are also other species of cetaceans that appear sporadically in the Canary coasts.
Frequently asked questions
All cetaceostenerife.com companies comply with the regulations for 100% legal whale watching. They all have the “Blue Ship” flag and the “Charter for Sustainability in Whale Watching”.
Yes, the boats leave from the port of Los Gigantes and carry out the activity close to the area.
The prices on our website are the cheapest, as they are the original prices without intermediaries who inflate the prices.
Yes, all companies allow cancellation of the activity, each with its own cancellation policy.
Yes, the whale watching companies in Los Gigantes allow children and babies in their activities.